The Beginning

Well here is the beginning, my first post on my blog. I wanted to create a good way to connect with those interested in my golfing life and having seen and read Eddie Pepperell's blog, I thought this was a great way to do so. I love reading Eddies blog as he gives his fans a very true and honest view on his Golf and life on tour, something that I really admire. I hope to be able to achieve something similar in this blog of my own.
I would love for me to be able to connect to young players coming into the game and give them some inspiration and show then that anything is possible if you are willing to put the work in. There are so many things that I could talk about and post about but I would love to hear what people want to see.
I want to provide an insight into my amateur career as it comes to an end and the things I have experienced along with updates or reviews in tournament weeks. I don't want this to purely be about tournament reviews though, I would like to have some posts talking about things that people want to know about my golf or views on the game.

This first post I want to provide some background on myself, or 'The Beginning' as the title suggests;
I first started hitting golf balls with my Dad at Portsmouth Golf Centre in Hampshire where I fell in love with the game and the highs and lows it provided. I progressed onto pitch and putt courses before my Dad joined me at the first club I would be a member, at the age of 10. A council owned course in Crookhorn called Portsmouth Golf Course, a great course to start out on with a fantastic layout. The smell of the freshly cut grass used to, and still does give me a buzz, there is no better smell than fresh cut grass in the morning. Using Donnay Golf Clubs and Top Flight balls, I loved the challenge that the golf course provided, no two shots the same. I guess it is something that I just have in my personality but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it's the best game in the world for me. It challenges me constantly because no matter how hard I try I will never achieve perfection in Golf, and therefore will always be working as hard as I can to get as good as I can. I'm the sort of person that can shoot 65 and still want to go to the putting green or range because of 'that' shot I hit that stopped me shooting 64.
I started playing junior club league matches against other clubs and that's when the real addiction to the game began, the feeling you get after winning a match is something that I could never get tired of. I love winning and even at a relatively young age, I was the kid that wanted to win at everything be it Golf, Monopoly, card games, literally anything.
After Portsmouth Golf Course my Dad joined Waterlooville Golf Club where he also took me. Waterlooville is a fantastic course, tree lined, small greens and great greens in the summer. It was the perfect place for me to progress. A junior section with a 30 minute tee slot every Saturday that realistically needed to be closer to the hour. Every weekend, medal, stableford or just a Roll Up we would have thirty or more juniors turn up. It was a junior section any club would be proud of now, I only wish more clubs could boast that many young players eager to play and compete every weekend.
I remember those Saturday mornings so well, I would clean my clubs Friday night, barely sleep all night and then be in my golf clothes ready to go at 7am for a 9:30 tee slot. The only trouble being that my Dad wasn't so eager at 7am to take me, I would go in every ten minutes and try wake hum up, and eventually the time would come for him to take me. I would arrive, head to the pro shop and pay my £2 for the 'comp' and head to the putting green where the other juniors would gather. The groups would be sorted, and to be honest, at that stage, and for a while yet, I would make up the final 3 ball to not hold anyone up. That was fine though, I was still excited beyond belief to get going. I would stand behind the first tee and watch the older juniors tee off, admiring the length they hit the ball, knowing that one day that would be me and someone else would be at the back of the tee. I wanted to be the best in the club, the county, the country and the world and I still have the same aspirations. I'm driven by the same things now as I was stood at the back of that tee at Waterlooville, I'm inspired by others and driven by those who doubt me. I had many people tell me what I couldn't achieve and not so many tell me what I could. The only thing that I stay focussed on is what I want to do and what I want to achieve and unfortunately there will always be people that want to be negative and try and bring you down but you have to stay true to your goals. I get it even today, with people dedicating whole articles to me on why I shouldn't be selected for things, reviewing my results for me, but I just use that as fuel to drive me. The only opinion and review that matters is your own and the more I've stuck to that the stronger I have become.
After Waterlooville I moved to Corhampton Golf Club, a down land course built on chalk, so that I could practice all year round. I still go back and play Waterlooville in the summer and both clubs have been a great support to me through the years.
For 7 years I have worked tirelessly at Corhampton, almost every day, to achieve my goals. To become the best in the world. I have a long way to go yet but I have made a good start and will never lose the belief that I can get to the top.
I believe my work ethic is what will take me where I want to be and I look forward to sharing the journey with you all.

Please let me know if there is anything that you would like to see in my blog and I will do my best to find a way to provide content you all like,

Thanks for reading
Scott



Comments

  1. A great start. Keep believing in yourself. Watched you at the Open last year at Troon and at the British Masters at the Grove. Great swing and good composure. #WGC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts