Preparing in Style

Hi readers,

Firstly, thank you for such a positive response to my last post, I really appreciate the feedback and requests I received. I'm currently sat in a very popular place for me the past couple of years; a hotel room getting ready for a tournament. This week I'm at The Berkshire is Ascot for the English Amateur Championship, a tournament that consists of 36 holes of strokeplay before the top 64 make the cut for knockout matchplay. With this being said I think this a great time to do a post on preparation and also incorporate the English Amateur Championship.

In 2014 I made the final of this great championship and lost to Nick Marsh, an England International at the time and now a winner on the Europro Tour. I remember it being a great week, I had just changed my putter and this would be my first tournament with it in the bag. I quickly got to grips with the Saunton greens and seemed to read them really nicely in my practice. This is something I try to do at any venue I arrive at, I try to get to grips with the putting surfaces. The speed being the crucial aspect but then testing my green reading, really making sure that I understand how they react.
In 2014 I felt as comfortable as I had ever been on the greens and this showed during the week as I rolled in putt after putt inside of ten foot. The matchplay was next and my game improved every day, with the first few matches being won from holing 20 footers on the final green to get through. My only convincing win coming in the semi final when I won 4&3 after a quick start on the front 9. The night before the final I barely slept, I was so nervous, way more nervous than I had ever been on the golf course. Eventually though, the alarm went to get ready and my energy was still on a high and I couldn't wait to get to the course, it was a feeling I had never had before. When I arrived I was treated like royalty, a buggy with my name on to take me to the range and then brand new golf balls to warm up with. I went through a good warm up, hitting the ball nicely, holing putts, chipping felt great and then the rain came in. For about ten minutes we had a downpour and the photographer took the opportunity to get the photos done.

Off to the first tee we went and now the nerves set in and I could sense the enormity of the day when my name was called. I'd stayed hydrated all morning but my mouth went dry and nothing felt like normal. I trusted my preparation and practice and managed to find the fairway. A feeling of relief came and I moved on to my ball in the fairway and I made my first nervy swing of the day and the ball came up short of the green. It wasn't a very committed shot but I suppose it was the better of the missed and I gave myself a simple up and down, or at least it should have been. A 40 foot putt up to the green but flat once on the surface, I raced the putt 5 foot past and missed the return to go one down. Not the start I wanted but in all but one match getting to the final I had been down in the first few holes so I stayed positive. We traded birdies and great shots from then until the 18th hole where we both two putted from across the green to keep the match score at Nick Marsh 1 up.

The afternoon round was upon me quickly and I was ready for it, one shot in it and I felt I could easily get things going my way and make an impact on the front 9. Maybe a bit keen to make that impact early, I found myself 4 down making the turn and the people that came to watch seemed to think I was down and out. I never once lost belief that I could win, I always believe I can win until I have to shake the hand of my opponent. I dug in deep and made a couple of birdies to get the match tight again. I had chances on 15 and 16 that slipped by and then it was clear what needed to be done. Two down and Two to play, it was win this hole or go home empty handed. The 17th is a great Par 3 at Saunton, a long hole with a small green, one that requires a very good shot. I hit a good shot but pulled it a touch and missed the green just next to a bunker, a chip across the green but I had missed on the correct side of the green. Nick then hit a great shot, straight down the flag but about 25 foot short of the pin, which made my job a lot easier. I had one option with the chip, hole it to keep going and I gave it a good go at the hole. I shaved the left edge of the hole and left myself a 2-3 footer. Nick calmly rolled his putt up to gimme range and the final was over.

I was obviously upset to start with as I would have loved to have won. But what a week, I was never even considered as a potential winner of the English Amateur so to make the final was amazing. I fought hard all week and then in the final showed people why I should be selected for England in the future and then at the end of the year, Kevin Tucker rewarded me with a place in the England A Squad. It really was the beginning of a great journey of learning.

I feel the key to me making the final in 2014, and then also the final in the 2016 Spanish Amateur, British Amateur and 2017 NSW Amateur is all in the preparation I done. On all occasions I felt exceptionally comfortable on and around the greens. Therefore, every tournament I turn up to I spend most of my time hitting putts and shots within 50 yards as I feel this is where I will be able to get a win. As a general rule, the weeks I have played well I have hit it close from 50 yards and in and then putted well. How do I make sure that I prepare at this?
Well I actually do most of the work on the golf course in my practice rounds, I'll select chips that are a likely representation of what I am likely to face in the tournament and work on them and putts that are likely to be had. I basically want to dial in on the greens and make sure there is nothing left to chance. In terms of my long game, when I'm at a tournament I am a big believer in that you turn up with what you have and then just make it work. If you arrive and cant find your swing, the chances of finding it in two practice days are slim so I just work on a stock shot and then play that. If I need to play it all week then that's what I'll do as the score is what matters, not how you hit it.

Back to the English Amateur now and this week has been no different, I have prepared in the same way as always and feel positive about the week. It's now just sticking to a game plan and getting the job done. I have an 08:45 tee time in round one and then a 13:20 tee time in round two. I'm looking forward to a great week and hope to have a strong result. As always I appreciate all support and if anyone makes it up for a watch, I hope you see some great Golf,

Scott

Comments

Popular Posts